In the Name of God the Merciful, the Compassionate
The Mission of the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara
The Islamic Society of Santa Barbara (ISSB) is a 501(c)(3) independent organization. Its public outreach activities provide religious, recreational, and educational facilities to support the practice of the essence and value of Islam and foster interfaith understanding to fulfill the spiritual, social, and intellectual needs of Muslims and non-Muslims in Santa Barbara County.
ISSB intends to serve the Creator, the local community, and humanity at large by embodying and instilling values of duty, learning, integrity, humility, service, self-expression, belonging, and contribution. Its innovative, team-oriented leadership also strives to assist members to develop an American Muslim identity, and inform the public about Islam’s beauty and compatibility with diverse cultures, ethnicities, genders, and perspectives.
Key points of ISSB’s ideological commitments are as follows:
- The sources of Islam are the Holy Qur’an and customs of the Prophet Muhammad (sunnah).
- Islam is a set of philosophical and spiritual outlooks; ISSB does not engage in political activities.
- ISSB is determined to be a resource of peace, justice, informed ethics, unity, faith, worship, knowledge, community, compassion, and technology.
- ISSB does not discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, sex, age, disability, or religion.
- ISSB welcomes men and women alike, and equally encourages them to participate in Society activities. Segregation of the sexes is not a symbol of righteousness; rather, modesty, decency, observation of the prohibitions outlined in the Qur’an and prophetic traditions (hadith), purity of the heart, and clarity of the conscience guarantee successful lives.
- ISSB aims to educate and remind, not to compel, dictate, judge, or classify. Sect and school of thought (madhhab) are matters of personal preference, not community policy. Cultural traditions, man-made rules, ethnic behaviors, etc., are not infallible, and the feelings of all human beings is a matter deserving great attention and respect.
- ISSB activities shall remain open to everyone. The language of public communication will be the language of our land, i.e., English. Arabic may be taught as the language of the Qur’an.