As-salaamu ‘alaykum; peace be with you all.
Welcome to the virtual home of the Islamic Society of Santa Barbara (ISSB). Here, you can learn about Santa Barbara’s local Muslim community, find information about our events and services, and discover opportunities for interfaith understanding. We are honored to have you, appreciate that you have come to learn about us, and look forward to learning about you. Please feel free to join us at our events and prayer services, and to contact us with any questions about Islam or Muslims in Santa Barbara.
Update on Future Islamic Center
The months of November and December 2013 were jubilant months for ISSB. Alhamdulillah, our Project was approved unanimously 4-0 by the Planning commission, and unanimously 5-0 by the Goleta City Council. We had to wait 90 days to ensure that there were no legal actions against the decision of the Goleta City Council's approval. We are now embarking on the next phases of the Project. We now need to get the necessary building plan approvals. Once these are acquired we can begin construction. It is anticipated that the building plan approval process will take 12 months and actual construction will take 12-15 months thereafter.
The Board of Trustees recently met and has made certain decision pertaining to the Project. The Board feels that certain guidelines must be strictly followed. These are listed below.
- Transparency: All decisions on the Future Islamic Center will be documented and made available to the community.
- Professional Management: An independent, third party Development/Construction Project Manager will be appointed. The Project Manager will be able to assist us with the development approval/construction process in an expedient and cost effective manner. A team has been selected to shortlist and recommends the company to the Board of Trustees.
- Community Participation: The community will be invited to participate in the decisions pertaining to the building plan. Towards this end the community is invited to join the Building Plan Committee.
- Fundraising: The community will be invited to join the Fund raising Committee.
- Dialogue: Monthly project meeting of the committee will be held at a fixed time and day of the month and all members of the community will be welcomed.
- The community will also be updated on a quarterly basis on the progress of the development.
- Audit: Though no final decision has been made as yet the Board is going to seek the Pro-Bono assistance of a reputable firm to audit all expenses of the project.
The community needs to be actively involved in the process of finalizing the building plans and in the raising of the funds necessary to complete the project. Further details of the two teams are provided below.
We are looking for between 5-7 volunteers to assist the Project Manager and Conceptual Architect in defining and identifying the usage of spaces inside the building. This is YOUR space, how we use it will depend on your feedback. Make your opinions count. Volunteer!
2. Fundraising Team
This team is required to come up with fundraising strategies for the preconstruction and construction stages including the eventual maintenance of the building. We need 5 members for this team. We are budgeting to raise $250,000 between now and mid-2015, our goal for building approval and ground breaking. This amount is towards the cost of development approval by the City of Goleta, professional fees and other incidental cost. We will need to raise between $2.5 and $4 million dollars for the actual construction of the Islamic Center.